1/4 teaspoon sourdough starter
2 cups flour
1 cup warm water
3 cups flour
3/4 cup warm water
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon yeast
2/3 cup whole garlic cloves (you may prefer more or less to your taste)
- Combine the sponge ingredients in a large plastic bowl, cover with plastic wrap and keep in a warm place for 18-20 hours.
- When ready the sponge should have expanded and smell pleasantly sour and bubbling. (at this point you may wish to refrigerate for up to 7 days, just remember to bring back to room temp).
- Place sponge and all other ingredients except garlic in mixing bowl, mix well and let rest 20-30 minutes.
- Mix again for 5-10 minutes, then cover and allow to rise 2-3 hours.
- Turn out onto lightly greased surface and flatten like you would cinnamon rolls .
- Sprinkle the garlic cloves evenly over the dough and roll up in cinnamon roll fashion pinching the sides in as you make a long oblong shaped loaf.
- Allow the loaf to rise covered with a towel for 2 hours or till almost doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 475°F.
- Slash the top of the loaf 4 times with a sharp knife.
- Spritz loaf and oven with water.
- Bake in 475°F oven for 3 minutes spraying 2 more times.
- Turn the oven down to 375°F (if it is baking to fast try 350°F).
- Spray often with the water and watch for the bread turning brown too fast. If it does, cover with a foil tent.
- Bake approx 30-40 minutes or till nicely browned and bottom thumps hollow.
- This bread can be a little temperamental, just watch the coloring and adjust temp and cook time as needed.